Our Old Schoolroom
Here is a picture of a class in our old school.This
school had been opened in 1897 replacing the first
The ex-teachers pictured below served in this school.
|Here is an indication of the conditions which Existed in our old school yard. Boys and girls play areas were separated by a high wall, which by now had disappeared. An outside toilet, seen here in the background, was another feature of these nineteenth century schools|
With the relaxation of the Penal Laws pay schools; in which the teachers were paid by the parents; were set up.
The 1826 report on Education records two such schools one at Shanballyshane under the scholarly Sean Maistir O Conaill, who taught Latin and Greek, came from Kerry and had previously started schools, one in Clohina and another Ballyvoige in the present graveyard in the village, as shown in tis photograph.
In 1826 the pupils here were taught by a Mr.Mc Carthy and a Julia Connell.
Annual salaries averaged from £10 to £15. This money was contributed by parents, and, occasionally by other agencies.
The buildings themselves were often in a very poor state of repair, and furthermore were rarely built for educational purposes.
Under the Education Act 1831 the village school became Ballyvoige National School This continued until May the third 1897 when the pupils marched behind the fife and drum band to their new school across the village.
This is now the community centre and we are seen here on a visit.
Our present school was opened on November the seventh 1986 in a two and half acre site quarter of a mile west of the village.